Types of Allergic Reactions
Allergies affect around 22 million people in the UK so if you are a sufferer, you are not alone!
In most cases, the symptoms are debilitating rather than life threatening: potentially making you feel off colour, drowsy, weak & irritable, but the symptoms should never be treated lightly. Some allergens can cause a severe allergic reaction called anaphylaxis and this needs immediate medical attention. Wheezing and sneezing can turn into asthma and infants who suffer from eczema are certainly more prone to asthma in later life.
There are three common types of allergic reaction:Read more...
Eye, nose, throat & chest
Itchy, red rash (Hives)
Dry, cracked skin & red patches
(Eczema or dermatitis)
Tightening of the throat
Loss of consciousness
There is a fourth category that is often referred to as an allergy but that is not strictly true.
Coeliac disease or gluten intolerance is an inability to digest the protein in cereals properly. The by-products of incomplete digestion trigger the release of white blood cells that attack the lining of the gut causing chronic pain, weight loss and even internal bleeding. This is known as an auto-immune disorder and there is only one solution to this type of condition – a diagnosis by a GP or a Specialist followed by total avoidance of the offending item.
Thankfully, in over 97% of allergy sufferers, reducing the allergen level in the home by at least one-half is enough to prevent the symptoms so that the sufferer can enjoy a normal life!
Eye, nose, throat and lung symptoms are normally associated with allergic reactions to dustmite, pet, mould, pollen, fragrances, insecticides, weedkillers, pesticides or paint.Read more...
Fragrances in toiletries, cosmetics and cleaning products usually evoke a rapid reaction so you can associate the symptoms with the cause. In the same vein, if you have recently re-decorated your home, purchased new carpets or furnishings or had a blitz in the garden, your symptoms will be uniquely associated with that event although the reactions are sometimes delayed for up to 3 days.
Mould spores are invisible to the naked eye but the mould itself can be seen in damp corners, on walls, clothes, old books, or even on logs, house plants and fruit.
Skin problems can be caused by food as well as contact allergens such as pet, dustmite, chemicals in skincare products as well as paints, garden pesticides or fire retardants in new furnishings or even certain plants.
If you are prone to this type of reaction, any contact with a pets saliva or its coat will result in red welts or red eyes if your hands come into contact with them. If you do not have a pet or you do not react to pet saliva then there is a high probability that you are sensitive to dustmites. In many instances, sufferers are allergic to both so Bio-Life products are all formulated to reduce dustmite and pet allergens!
Anaphylactic shock is commonly caused by foods e.g. shellfish, nuts, eggs or insect bites. There is no mistaking this reaction because it is severe and immediate. Individuals who are susceptible to this type of allergy should always carry an epipen and know how to use it. Your GP will be happy to prescribe and assist. The offending foods should be avoided and insects should be deterred by an approved insect repellent.
If you are having difficulty identifying the causes of your problems, please do not hesitate to call the Bio-Life Allergy Helpline, 0044 1608 686626 for assistance. We are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days per week. If we do not know the answer, we can recommend to you reputable Allergy Specialists that can conduct allergy tests to identify the source.